Tuesday, September 29, 2009

It's different now...

Francis Chan is my "Father of the Faith". When I was in 8th grade, I accepted Christ at a youth camp where he was the main speaker. If you don't know who he is check out Cornerstone Church, located in Semi Valley, California.


He has written two books now: 1) Crazy Love and 2)The Forgotten God. I just completed The Forgotten God which is all about how was have tragically neglected to REALLY invite the spirit into our churches, our homes, and ultimately our daily lives. It's not that He isn't there, it's that we don't know what it means to live in step with the Spirit so that every decision, thought and action is motivated by His leading. What would our churches, homes and daily lives look like if we honestly and truly did that?


As I was reading it, I was asking Him (the Holy Spirit) to show me a tangible way that I could follow His leading. One of the ways that we often "make it without Him" is by working hard to provide for ourselves. When you have a good job, enough in the bank account, and a stable-looking future, it is easy to think we have that part figured out pretty well enough on our own. I want to be provided for by the Spirit. I want to wake up every morning and be blown away by how he blesses and supplies our needs.


Based on all of this, talking to Him as I read through this book, I am convinced that He wants me to make my photography a donation based ministry. I saw an "Extreme Home Makeover" several years ago that I will never forget. There was a woman who's ministry as a photographer was to go into the hospitals and take pictures with couples who had a premature baby that was only going to live HOURS. Maybe a week? She named the organization "Tiny Works of Heart." She would go into those dark suffocating rooms and breathe life into them. She would make the parents laugh with each other as they held their newborn and take literally THOUSANDS of pictures for them to cherish forever... beyond the fleeting hours with their child.


I have always been inspired by that, but I wasn't sure that was what I was called too. It takes a very special personality to be able to talk into a situation like that and bring joy, hope and peace. I know that God wants to use my photography to bless others and now it is going to be completely by donation. Families come from such an array of situations and have innumerable other financial burdens that take precinence now-adays. I am hoping this will be an encouragement to many....so.....


Spread the word! :)

Love, Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment